Return to the home page Home         Emergency Services Directory for Schweinfurt Emergency Services        Contact a member of Team Schweinfurt Contact
72nd Expeditionary Signal Battalion 18th Engineer Brigade 7th Theatre Tactical Signal Brigade 630th MP Company

Conn Barracks, Bldg. 81
09721-96-8359 or DSN 353-8359
International: 011-49-9721-96-8359

Hours: Fri: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. with the last appointment being 2:30 p.m.

Closed all German,  U.S. Holidays. Open Training holidays.

Closed on the last day of the month for inventory.

Click here for blog post explaining changes to veterinary services now through closure.

Abandoned Pets

Owning Pets in Germany

Health Certificates

Pet Passports


Dangerous Dogs


Abandoned Pets

The USAG Schweinfurt VTF is committed to prevent the abandonment of pets in the local community. The garrison here is scheduled to close by the fall of 2014. Hundreds of Soldiers and families—many of whom are pet owners—will PCS to their next duty station by the summer of 2014. We can help. Pets are our family members and we aim to assist outbound Soldiers and families with either getting their pets safely to their next duty station or facilitating the adoption of the pet to a rightful owner. Leaving a pet stranded on its own is not an option.

But we need your help. If you, or someone you know, is PCSing with a pet, contact the vet clinic. We will ensure the pet has the vaccinations and paperwork it needs to safely and legally leave the country. And if you, or someone you know, needs help finding someone to adopt a pet, contact the vet clinic. We’ll help find an owner.

Available pets up for adoption are posted on our “Pet Adoption” page. The page is regularly updated.

Owning Pets in Germany

Pet In-processing

Please register your pet within 14 days of arrival to assist with animal control and identification of strayed pets.

Please bring vaccination records. All pets must meet vaccination requirements to protect public health.

Beginning Feb. 1, 2013, pet owners will be charged examination fees for all pets imported into Germany from outside the European Union. Click here for specific rates and more information.

Dangerous Dogs in Bavaria

Class 1 dogs not allowed, and Class 2 dogs must be temperament tested at a German here.

Consider adopting carefully

Space is tight – a new pet will have to live indoors

Things cost more in Germany

There is an expectation in Germany that pets will be highly trained and controllable

Beware of "puppy mills". Make sure the breeder is legitimate before visiting. A "rescue" purchase leaves you with a sick pet and the exploiter with money in the pocket.

We maintain list of clients that have pets for adoption, and of clients that would like to adopt

Emergency services

The Army clinic does not provide after-hours emergency services. Pet owners should become familiar with an off-post alternative. Directions to the closest full-service emergency pet hospital are posted outside the clinic. A complete list of emergency providers is available at the clinic or here.

Identifying the vet clinics

  • Tier = animal
  • Artz = doctor
  • Klinik = clinic
  • Tierklinik = animal clinic
  • Tierartz = animal doctor
  • Veterinar = veterinary

Health Certificates

Health Certificates will be available by appointment at the Schweinfurt Vet clinic until May 30, 2014. After this date, Health Certificate exams can be performed by either the USAG Ansbach Veterinary Clinic or a veterinarian on the economy. Find a list of local veterinarians here.

When traveling from Germany to the U.S. with your pet, you will be required to show proof of a current Rabies vaccination given at least 30 days prior to travel. Depending on the type of rabies vaccine that was used, the vaccine is good for 1-3 years. This proof of current vaccinations is called a health certificate.

A health certificate for travel to the U.S. and many other countries is required to be issued within 10 days of traveling. An examination of the animal is performed to prove that the animal is healthy and the paperwork is completed by a veterinarian. On that day a stool sample of the animal needs to be tested for intestinal parasites. The health records of the animal can be signed out at this time as well.

For traveling to the states it is not a requirement yet that the animal has to be microchiped but it is a good thing to have in case your animal gets lost or runs away. If you registered your pet with your up to date address and phone number it is very likely that you will get the animal back. Please remember to update your personal info with the microchip company after the move.

Soldiers with pets PCSing to England, Japan, Korea or Hawaii have special requirements and need to contact the vet clinic for further information and handouts.

When traveling to Germany from the US, current vaccinations and a health certificate are required. Health certificates must be obtained from a military veterinarian or civilian USDA accredited Veterinarian.

Animals are required to have an ISO microchip as of Oct. 2004 for travel within the European Union.

Pet Passports

Pets now need passports

Also an EU-Passport is necessary for dogs, cats and ferrets if you are planning on taking them with you while traveling within Europe. This passport is available at the Schweinfurt VTF but for issuing the animal needs to be brought in and the vet has to be available to sign the passport.

Some countries in the EU (England, Sweden) and countries outside the EU (Norway, Switzerland, Hawaii, Guam, Japan) have additional requirements. So check with us for a more complete list in case you are planning on going there. Sometimes it can take up to 6 month in order to prepare the animal and the paper work for the trip!

Information on European Union (EU) pet import rules (and pet passports)

Obtain your Pet Passport

Movement of animals within the EU


The Schweinfurt area Veterinary Treatment Facility offers the following vaccinations.

Vaccination services will end March 20, 2014. More...

Puppy Series

Kitten Series

8 Weeks: 1st Distemper
12 Weeks: 2nd Distemper and Rabies
16 Weeks: 3rd Distemper

Distemper includes: Canine Distemper, Parvo Virus, Parainfluenza, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis

Bordetella (kennel cough) is also available.

Adults animals require yearly boosters

8 Weeks: 1st Feline Distemper
12 Weeks: 2nd Feline Distemper and Rabies

Feline Distemper includes: Panleukopenia, Calici Virus, Rhinotracheitis, Chlamydia psittaci

Feline Leukemia is also available.

Adults animals require yearly boosters


The following items are available for purchase:

New Puppy + Kitten Exams
Preventive medicine
Geriatric Exams
Nail Trims
FCC Health Certificates
Health Certificates (PCS)
Heartworm Testing
Animal Bite Cases for Rabies
Parasite Testing
Complete Blood work Testing
AVID Pet Microchipping
Referrals to specialists

Dental products
Heartworm prevention
Flea and tick preventative
Prescription diets (Hill's)

Dangerous Dogs

The USAG Schweinfurt policy on importing and registering dangerous dogs is outlined in Policy Memorandum 9-1.

Dangerous Dogs are classified in Bavaria as Class I or Class II. The following breeds are considered Class I and are not allowed in Bavaria.

  • American Staffordhire Terrier
  • Pit Bull Terrier
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  • Bandog
  • Tosa Inu
  • Any dog mixed with any breed listed above

The following breeds belong to Class II. They can be brought to Bavaria but certain steps are necessary for registration with local authorities.

  • Alano
  • American Bulldog
  • Bull Mastiff
  • Bull Terrier
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Dogue de Bordeaux
  • Fila Brasiliero
  • Mastiff
  • Mastino Napoletano
  • Mastino Espanol
  • Dogo Canario (Perro de Presa Canario)
  • Rottweiler
  • Perro de Presa Mallorquin
  • Cane Corso
  • Any dog mixed with any breed listed above will need to go through temperament testing and registration.

Requirements for determining the classification of dog if he is one the above breeds:

  • The animal must have a permanent form of identification, such as a microchip or tattoo.
  • You must then submit the Gutachten (appraisal) to the local authorities. This office is called the Staadlichesveterinarianamt and the number is: 0931-372695. The office is located in the Wuerzburg Rathaus. The city will take the paperwork and make a ruling based on the findings. This may take a few weeks. They will give you guidance on whether you need your dog on a leash or muzzled at all times. If the animal is found to not be aggressive, you will receive a certificate authorizing the animal to live in the state of Bavaria. This certificate should be carried with you at all times in case you are approached by the authorities.
  • Insurance is required. You can obtain insurance through your household insurer. Full coverage including accidents and bites costs around €100 per year.
  • It is also recommended that you have a certificate of completion of obedience school training to submit with your application.
  • A packet containing all of the pertinent information for Dangerous Dogs can be picked up at our clinic or mailed to you.
  • If you have exhausted all means to keep your dog in Germany you must either ship your dog home, or have your dog euthanized at your expense. This service is available from this clinic for a fee.

Europe Regional Veterinary Command

Schweinfurt Vet Guide

Information on European Union (EU) pet import rules (and pet passports)

EU Pet Passport

Movement of animals within the EU

USDA Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service

Transporting Pets in the military

Schweinfurt Vet

Schweinfurt Emergency Services

Schweinfurt Groomers & Boarding Facilities

Schweinfurt Obedience Training